Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Favourite Comedy Film 16

This was a coming of age film for me and I consider it a comedy really because it tackles issues of identification in a wry way

Mrs. Robinson: Benjamin.
Benjamin: Yes?
Mrs. Robinson: Isn't there something you want to tell me?
Benjamin: Tell you?
Mrs. Robinson: Yes.
Benjamin: Well, I want you to know how much I appreciate this. Really.
Mrs. Robinson: The number.
Benjamin: What?
Mrs. Robinson: The room number, Benjamin. I think you ought to tell me that.
Benjamin: Oh, you're absolutely right. It's 568.
Mrs. Robinson: Thank you.
Benjamin: You're welcome. Well... I'll see you later, Mrs. Robinson.







and

Film 4 Review
Boy loves girl but has a fling with her mum in this classic comedy drama that turned Dustin Hoffman into a sex symbol
"Mrs Robinson, you're trying to seduce me... aren't you?" muttered young college graduate Benjamin (Hoffman) to middle-aged Mrs Robinson (Bancroft). And thus one of the most famous seduction scenes in the movies was born.

As well as the blistering script, it's the cast that make Mike Nichols' film positively sing. Hoffman was perfectly cast (legend has it that Robert Redford was originally offered the role) as the jaw-droppingly naive Benjamin. Katherine Ross is demure as Elaine, while Bancroft - who is only six years older than Hoffman in real life - got the part of a lifetime, and knew exactly what to do with it (and has not been bettered by the actresses who have attempted the role in the theatre version).

No comments: