Monday, September 15, 2008

Political Humor

Sometimes I hate politics, but I love political humor. Go figure. And for some odd reason I love reading about the political humor of the past. Mark Twain, Will Rogers, and even Shakespeare dabbled in political humor.

The modern day versions of political satire are shows like Jon Stewart with "The Daily Show" and "The Cobert Report". I even put the right wing talk radio and Fox News in this category.

A recent online article that is informative on this topic is Newsweek's Political Punch Lines. It was the articles tag line that caught my eye, "From ancient Greece to the modern day, people in power have been the subjects of our mockery".
As long as there have been people in power, there have been wiseacres mocking the people in power. Those Paleolithic French cave paintings of horses? It's a safe bet that at least one of them is an old-school political cartoon meaning "Tribal leader Gary is a jackass."

No comments: